5 Top-Rated Small Portable Air Compressor Reviews
You have a headache and your eyes twitch after the long and hard searching of the best-rated air compressor? Relax and get ready for getting the full and extensive information we have prepared specially for you.
We have tried to make your task easier, so after conducting a thorough analysis of the market and consumer reports, we are ready to provide an exhaustive review of the best portable air compressors.
Best Small Portable Air Compressor in 2020
Makita MAC2400 Big Bore 2.5 HP
- Cast iron pump with Big Bore cylinder and piston is engineered to provide faster recovery time for improved performance
- Low AMP draw reduces incidences of tripped breakers at start up. The 4.2 gallon twin stacked tank sustains an operating pressure of 130 PSI, and delivers 40 PSI (4.8 CFM) and 90 PSI (4.2 CFM), enough for two nailers
- Pump is oil lubricated for cooler running temperatures and reduced wear. Built in thermal overload for additional motor protection. Compressor Oil (181122 A). 1/4 inches Universal Quick Coupler (447013 E)
- Roll cage construction provides complete protection to withstand extreme jobsite environments. Lever handle ball valve tank drain valve improves upon standard petcock design for easier maintenance
- Large automotive style industrial air filter for increased air intake and greater efficiency. Durable cast iron cylinder reduces wear and increases pump life; removable for easy maintenance. Oil sight glass for fast, easy and efficient maintenance
With a speed of 1730 rev/min, the pump of the equipment gets air into the tank. This positively impacts the noise level generated by the device at a reasonable 79dB. The product has a 4.2-gallon tank which should cater for most tasks you can think of. It weighs a heavy 81 lbs. This remains its biggest flaw. Also, it is quite expensive for a compressor. However, the Makita is highly recommended according to remarks by customers who purchased it.
Campbell Hausfeld FP209499AV Portable Air Compressor
- 3 gallon horizontal tank and 0.36 CFM at 90 PSI. 110 Max PSI provides plenty of power to tackle DIY projects. Operates on 120 volt house outlet
- Oil-less pump for maintenance-free ownership and strong, reliable motor output. Motor overheated
- Equipped with 10 piece accessory kit which includes a coiled hose, blow gun, inflation needles and fittings
- Conveniently placed gauges are easy to read & this compressor's compact design makes it easily portable
- Ideal for tire and ball inflation; it's also perfect for powering air brushes, air/ brad nailers, upholstery projects and more. Finish your projects faster and easier with Campbell Hausfeld. The Air Power Expert
Like the DeWalt, it doesn’t require any need for oiling which removes another routine maintenance chink. This power tool discharges compressed air at about 0.36CFM. It might not be the ideal device for construction sites, but it should suffice for most tasks in your home. The Campbell Hausfeld is capable of delivering air at a pressure of about 110 PSI or below.
This power device is delineated with gauges which should be great for observing the pressure of the compressed air. This machine comes with several immensely useful accessories such as the air chuck, inflation needles and a host of others. The product has some notable flaws including the long time it takes to fill up the tank and the high noise level.
DeWalt D55140 1-Gallon 135 PSI Compressor
- Heavy-duty 1-gallon trim compressor with protective roll cage
- 135 psi maximum, durable oil-free pump, low 71 dB rating, low 2.6 amp motor
- Includes 1 compressor; hose & nailer not included
- 9-inches wide; 24 pounds; 1-year warranty
The 2.6 amp electric motor of the product isn’t the most powerful, but it gets the job done. The oil-free engine of this tool requires lower maintenance and could prove quite durable. With a noise level of 71 dBA, it can be considered a home air compressor.
This good portable compressor delivers a pressure of about 135 psi maximum. The machine has a capacity of about 1 gallon. It supplies compressed air at 0.75 SCFM with a regulator for improved discharge. This small portable air compressor is equipped with a ball drain valve for efficient tank draining. The biggest letdown of the D55140 is its small tank and it isn’t ideal for onerous chores.
Bostitch BTFP02012 6 Gallon 150 PSI
- Note:Item does not includes hose or gun kit
- 150 max PSI 6.0 gallon tank (22.7 L) and 2.6 SCFM* delivered @ 90 PSI pump
- High efficiency motor for easy start up in cold weather ; BOSTITCH high efficiency motor for easy start up in cold weather or extension cord application [14 ga or larger, 50 ft. (15.2 m) or less]
- 78.5 dBA** operational noise level for a quiet work environment
- High flow regulator and couplers to maximize air tool performance
This small model doesn’t demand the use of oil. This means you don’t need to carry out periodic maintenance checks for an oil gauge. It has a regulator that allows you to control the air pressure supplied. This compact device weighs about 21 lbs. This is perfect for improved mobility. Consumer reports points to the flawed durability of essential parts like the regulator knob. Also, the 80dBA noise level rating might be misinformed as it certainly requires the use of earmuffs. With the best price, the Bostitch BTFP02012 is affordable.
Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak
- Lightweight and portable--easy to carry from site to site as you work
- One horsepower peak ,1/2 horsepower runningand one-gallon capacity
- Ideal for a range of renovation and home improvement jobs, as well as for hobbies and crafts
- Delivers 20 to 44 drives per minute
- Backed by a one-year warranty
Like the Bostitch, this product has a pressure regulator that allows you to control the pressure of the air. It weighs 20 lbs making it one of the lightweight compressors on this list. Also, its noise level is quite low which means fewer worries about noise pollution.
The 1-gallon capacity of the tank of the Senco is perhaps one of its issues. It might not be sufficient for the various needs you have. The parts seem to depreciate with regular use and reviews by previous customers confirm this. However, the 1-year warranty should come in handy when purchased.
Portable Air Compressor Buying Guide
Air compressors have a wide range of applications. They can be used in pumping tires, nails applications, and several others. Before you purchase an air compressor for air tools consider what you intend to use the power tool for. Also, customer reviews for the particular product and your budget should be considered. There are several factors which you should also take into consideration before buying a portable air compressor. To assist you in making a well-informed choice, we have outlined these factors below:
It’s important you consider the mobility of the air compressor before buying. A machine needs to be lightweight and less cumbersome, weighing above 40 lbs can be considered heavy. They are not easy to carry around.
A portable compressor isn’t only ideal for mobility but also for storage. You wouldn’t want the equipment which could be challenging to store.
Having a mobile compressor doesn’t necessary mean you will sacrifice the capacity of the tank. You can have an item with sufficient tank capacity but also compact. The tank determines how long you can utilize the power tool. A larger tank means you use an air compressor longer than one with a small tank.
Oil-Free or Oil Dependent Air Compressor
An oil free air compressor reduces the effort you put maintaining the power tool. This means you don’t have to consistently check the oil level or the expenses that come with purchasing the oil. The oil-dependent model performs better than the oil-free variant.
Air compressors need a source of energy to operate. The power could be from two conventional sources:
- Electricity Powered Air Compressors
The electric air compressors are also considered oil free. They work by connecting them to a power source. The power could range from 0.5hp to more than 2.0hp. The models which depend on electricity are usually not quite powerful in comparison to their gas powered ones.
Electric compressors are more suited to the tasks in the house since they can be easily connected to a power outlet. Also, they don’t emit gases which can create a health hazard especially when the power tool is used in a poorly aerated environment. This makes them an ideal choice for home use.
- Gas Powered Air Compressors
These compressors in contrast to the electric type work based on the power provided by petrol. They are more powerful and could be hazardous if not handled with care. This type of power tool also requires oil to work. They are more demanding to maintain, so they are more suited for garage or construction purposes.
Typical of power tools, the performance of an air compressor is defined by several technicalities. The Standard Cubic Feet per Minute (SCFM) determines to a great extent the efficacy of an air tool. A high SCFM is synonymous with a high flow rate of the compressed air for whatever use you decide. However, the SCFM is dependent on the pressure of the air within the tank. The pressure here is measured in Pounds per Square Inch (PSI). While some tasks do not a large PSI pressure like the nail spray gun others can only be carried out with a compressor with a high PSI rating. So, before purchasing a tool, consider the task you want to carry out with it. This is not a cliché, it is important!
Type of Pump
The pump is usually of two types: Single-stage pump and Two-stage pump. As you might have discovered, the single-stage is less complicated to its two-stage counterpart. It usually has a single tank while the two-stage pump type always has two or more tanks. This increases the available space within the tank. With more space in the tank of an air compressor, you spend more time utilizing the power tool.
Read also: Air Compressor Trouble Shooting Guide
Rate our review:
Last update on 2021-06-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API